The Application Process
How to Apply for a Building Permit
- Download the Building Permit Application or pick one up at the Building Department:
Lafayette City Hall
1290 S. Public Rd.
Lafayette, CO 80026
- Fill out the application.
- Submittal requirements depend upon the complexity of the project but typically include two sets of plans and plot plans.Three sets of plans are required for residential additions, new residential homes, and new commercial buildings.For more information see the following:
- Building Code and Design Information
- New Commercial Building Permit Checklist
- New Residential Building Permit Checklist
- Utility Service Application (use for new residential and commercial)
- Plan sizes:
- Residential Remodel Plans (no larger than 11-by-17 inches)
- All others (no larger than 24-by-36 inches)
- Drop off your completed application and required materials at the Building Department or fax them to 303-665-2153 or email to email@example.com.
- Allow three to four working days for us to process your permit application for most applications.
- The Building Department will call or email you when permit is ready.
Application Processing Timelines
The Building Department tries to issue your permit as soon as possible.Below is the typical time frame for processing permits.
- Two to three working days for HVAC, reroof, sidings, and window replacements
- Two weeks for projects such as decks, fences, and basement finishes
- Two weeks for commercial tenant finish, permanent signs, residential additions, garages, and corner-lot fences
- Four weeks for new residential house, duplex, multi-family buildings, and new commercial buildings