Open Space Volunteers
Volunteers play an important role in advocating for open space and caring for parks by contributing over 500 hours of service every year. Volunteers come in the form of individuals, families, students, youth groups, corporate teams, neighborhoods, and more. Each hour generously given greatly impacts our community and our natural resources.
Parks and Open Space volunteer opportunities are as follows:
- Adopt a Park
- Adoption Locations: Great Bark Dog Park, Highway 287 Bypass Trail, Lafayette City Park, Outdoor Classroom, Simpson Mine Park, Waneka Lake Park - East Area, Waneka Lake Park - West Area, and Whitetail Park
- Adopting parties coordinate with City staff to establish a work plan. Volunteers must be 18 years of age or older or be accompanied by an adult sponsor. Volunteers must pick up litter at least three times a year. Adopting parties may also participate in other projects including wildlife habitat construction, weed control and trail maintenance, as approved by City staff. Due to the popularity of the program, all sponsorships expire on December 31 of each year regardless of when the sponsorship began. Renewing sponsors will have a two-year limit; meaning, at the end of your one-year term, you may adopt for another year. After that point, if no organization is waiting to adopt the site, you may adopt on a year by year basis.
- Golf course player assistant
- Closely monitor flow of play on the golf course, enforce rules and regulations, and educate customers regarding golf etiquette and course care.
- Please call 303-666-4706 to learn more about this opportunity.
- One Time
- Arbor Day Volunteer
- Assist members of the Open Space Advisory Committee and Open Space Staff or other City Staff with a vegetation project
- Typically held in late April; online registration available annually in early April
- Open Space Day Volunteer
- Work with members of the Open Space Advisory Committee and Open Space Staff to foster and engage in stewardship that represents the values of the Lafayette Open Space Program
- Held annually, the first Saturday in October; locations vary; online registration available annually in mid-September
- Planned group, corporate, or HOA volunteer events
- Arrange an effort working with Parks and Open Space Staff to enhance Lafayette's outdoor spaces
- Activities are arranged on an individual basis; while Staff tries to accommodate each request received, we are not always able to find a suitable volunteer activity
- Inquiries can be made by emailing the department administrative office
- Arbor Day Volunteer